2022 Nutcracker Children’s Cast Auditions
The Joffrey Ballet is pleased to present Tony Award®-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon’s brilliantly reimagined version of “The Nutcracker” during the 2022–2023 season.
The information below walks you through the entire audition process, step by step. We encourage you to read everything so you know what to expect. Note that there are age and height requirements. If you find yourself with questions at the end, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please pre-register to audition at least one day in advance. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required. Individuals must be fully vaccinated and boosted. Read about the Joffrey’s COVID-19 safety protocols here.
Where and When
All in-person auditions take place at Joffrey Tower (10 East Randolph Street).
Friday, September 9, 2022
5:00—6:30 PM, Ages 8 and Older
- Auditions for female-identifying and non-binary dancers ages 8 and older on audition day.
- Maximum height 4'7" (no minimum height).
Dancers may be asked to return to audition on Sunday, September 11, from 1:00–4:30 PM.
Sunday, September 11, 2022
10:30–11:00 AM, Ages 12–18
- Auditions for male-identifying dancers ages 12-18 on audition day.
- Maximum height 5'8" (no minimum height).
11:00 AM–12:00 PM, Ages 14–18
- Auditions for female and non-binary-identifying dancers ages 14-18 on audition day.
- Maximum height 5'6" (no minimum height).
Dancers may be asked to return for the audition from 1:00-4:30 PM.
1:00–4:30 PM, Ages 9–13
- Auditions for female and non-binary-identifying dancers ages 9-13 on audition day.
- Minimum Height 4'7", maximum height 5'6".
Dancers may be released before 4:30 PM.
Anytime Through Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 9:00 PM
Children with disabilities are encouraged to submit a video audition for the role of Worker Child, performed in a non-motorized wheelchair specially crafted for The Nutcracker.
- Ages 12-18.
- Dancers of all genders.
- No minimum or maximum height requirements.
More Information and Requirements
Preparing to Audition
Students should arrive at Joffrey Tower dressed in their dancewear with hair already prepared, and a small bag for their shoes, warm-ups, and water.
Meetings, Rehearsals, Performances, and Conduct
The Joffrey’s presentation of “The Nutcracker” is a professional production and requires committed performers. See here for important dates and a note about conduct.
Roles in the Children’s Cast
Visit below for a comprehensive list of Children’s Cast roles.